Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Cheap Ward
Key:   Current observations and notes     Holmes (1897)     Other sources       Maps


Existing grounds
St. Pancras, Pancras Lane.
Site of burned church. Converted to garden post war -  burials removed 1963. now
a group of stunted trees covered with ivy.
This area covers the site of the original church plus part of the original churchyard to the north and east. A further burial ground was established in 1379 just to the west of this site. This is shown on a reconstructed map of 1520, and as open space on Ogilby and Morgan (1676)


St Pancras (left) St Benet (right) Rocque

St. Martin Pomeroy (Pomary) (St. Olave, Jewry), Ironmonger Lane. 
The two churches were adjacent, pre-fire; after the fire the site of St Martin's church, and its ground, were used as the churchyard of St Olave's. The original St Olave's ground was to the south of the church. 
The tower remains but the church has gone. (Demolished 1891) Otherwise the view has barely changed in over 170 years. Garden not open to the public. What's left of St Olave's Church itself is in Coleman Street Ward.



Lost Grounds

St. Mildred, Poultry.
Church demolished 1871. Burial ground cleared and remains moved to the City of London Cemetery. 
Ground given by Thomas Morsted 1420. Almost lost in 1594. Abridged before 1633, and enlarged 1693. (Holmes) 


St. Benet Sherehog, Pancras Lane
Site of burned church.
Built on by No. 1 Poultry development Autumn 1994. See Rocque map above. 

Excavations, 1994

Tomb of Mayor John Maurois d 1673
Excavations 1994

St. Lawrence Jewry.
Part of the extensive paved area south of the Guildhall. Burial ground no longer traceable. 


Early 19th Cent.

All Hallow's, Honey Lane 
Cleared after the fire and Honey Lane Market built on the site. This was closed in 1835 and replaced by the City of London School. Area totally redeveloped post war. Reconstructed map of 1520 shows burial ground to the south of the church.
During excavations in 1954-5 medieval burials were found under former 111 Cheapside, somewhat to the south of the original church site. Possibly original site of the churchyard, later built on? 
All now covered by Sun Life Insurance building. 

St. Thomas Acons.
A collegiate church and hospital. Dedication is to St Thomas of Acre, the original name given to St Thomas of Canterbury - the church was built on the site of his birth in Cheapside and founded, according to tradition, by Thomas Becket's sister Agnes.  
   Replaced by Mercer's Hall after the reformation. 

'The brothers obtained episcopal permission in 1249 to use a plot of land next to their oratory as a cemetery for all who wished to be buried there, saving the rights of the churches to whose parishes the dead belonged. From the 13th to the early 16th century the church of St. Thomas was a place where many citizens of London chose to be buried and it attracted many minor legacies and endowments for chantries and obits. Between 1428 and 1515 several members of the family of the earls of Ormond, who were closely associated with the hospital and mistakenly claimed a blood relationship with the martyr, were buried there.' (British History online) 

St. Mary Colechurch
On the corner of Cheapside and Old Jewry, west side. Lost in the Great Fire. The church was built on a vault above ground level, with an inn underneath. Bodies were interred beneath the floorboards of the church, i.e. above the ceiling of the inn.