Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Broad Street Ward
Key:  Current observations and notes      Holmes  (1897)    Other sources     Maps


Existing grounds

Allhallows' Churchyard, London Wall.
Ground to the west a pleasant garden. Ground to the East of the church built on - see photograph below.

West of church

West of church

Burial ground to the east now covered by this bunker-like building.

Lost grounds

St. Christopher le Stocks.
Church demolished In 1781 to make way for expansion of the Bank of England. The churchyard became a garden in the Bank Called Garden Court. The last burial there was a bank clerk named Jenks. As he was over 7 feet tall, his corpse was eagerly sought by anatomists, and it was thought that  a burial ground inside a bank was the safest option. It was not to be - he was dug up in the 1930s when the bank expanded and moved with other remains to Nunhead. 

Built over in 1934.

Garden Court pre war


St. Benet Fink, Threadneedle Street. 
Church demolished 1844. Statue mentioned by Holmes still in situ. Maps show a fairly large ground to the south of the church, still in use in 1841.

 Railed in, with Peabody's statue in it.  Paved and added to the public footway, but  still traceable. (Holmes) 

Statue of George Peabody - Doré

Still sitting there.

St. Bartholomew  by the Exchange Threadneedle Street.
Church demolished 1841. Site of the ground not clear - probably to the north east as marked on Horwood below. 
Miles Coverdale was buried here in 1568, and moved to St Magnus the Martyr (Bridge Ward Within) in 1841.

Horwood - showing site of St Bartholemew (to the north) and St Benet Fink burial grounds. St Bartholemew's ground probably built over at this time. 

St. Peter le Poer, Broad St.  
Church survived the fire but was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century. Demolished 1907. Ground probably to the east of the church -  109-118 Old Broad St
reet. 'Scarecely used' by 1841. Already built on (houses) in Holmes' day. Pre-fire it may have been north-west, up against the wall of the Austin Friars. 

The Churchyard of the Dutch Church, Austin Friars  
The Dutch church, once the church of the Austin Friars, contained many distinguished pre-reformation burials.  It was destroyed in the war. On rebuilding in the 1950s the many burials found under the church were cremated and the ashes interred in a new crypt. The burial-ground was on the south side, now built over.  This was the original cemetery of the Austin Friars. The were possible burials in the cloisters, on the north side of the church.