Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Farringdon Ward Within
Key:  Current observations and notes   Holmes (1897)     Other sources      Maps


Existing grounds

St. Paulís Cathedral Churchyard 

Originally covered a much larger area, from Carter Lane in the South to Paternoster Row in the north. Walled c1109. The wall was strengthened in 1285 as  'by the lurking of thieves and other bad people in the night time within the precincts of the churchyard, divers adulteries, homicides, and fornications had been committed therein'.  Over the years the churchyard has gradually been encroached upon. 
n later years the burial grounds were to the north of the cathedral. The Great Churchyard, which included burial places for the parishes mentioned by Holmes, was to the north-east. The cloistered Pardon Churchyard was to the north of the nave; it was noted for its murals. 
    Up until the opening of the New Churchyard (or Bethlem Churchyard, see Bishopsgate Ward) in 1569 St Paul's was heavily used, both for extra parochial burials and in time of plague. A number of parishes with inadequate or no space used St Paul's. This area continued to be used for burials (presumably for the especially privileged or wealthy) until at least 1850; this is a table tomb with this date on in situ. 

Used as a burial-place since Roman times. It includes the Pardon Churchyard, the burial-grounds for the parishes of St. Faith and St. Gregory, and a piece allotted to St. Martin, Ludgate. Size, 1Ĺ acres. Maintained by the Corporation. Laid out in 1878-1879. (Holmes) 

Site of burial ground, NE of the cathedral: the table tomb in the picture dates from 1850

Christ Church, Newgate Street.
On the site of the Greyfriars monastery. The area of the burial ground was the nave of the friary church. The burial place of many queens: The heart of Queen Eleanor of Provence, wife of Henry III (1291) Margaret, second queen of Edward I, (1318) Queen Isabella, wife of Edward II  (d 1358) her daughter, Joan de la Tour, Queen of Scotland (1362) . Also the burial place of Elizabeth Barton the Holy Maid of Kent (hanged at Tyburn 1534). This historic site is now a  sanitised and dreary patch of grass.
On the site of the western end of the church of the Greyfriars. (Holmes)

St. Anne, Blackfriars.  
Two grounds still remaining, in Ireland Yard and Church Entry. Both grounds  are paved; the western one is the site of the church.  After the great fire the parish was amalgamated with that of St. Andrew by the Wardrobe and these grounds became additional burying places for that parish. 

East ground, Ireland Yard

West ground, Church Entry

Inside the west ground

St. Peter Cheap, (Westcheap) Wood Street. 
Site of the burned church. The parish was united with St. Matthew Friday Street and the ground used by that parish. The shops and the historic plane tree are still there, and the tree fern adds a tropical note.

19th c. print

Prewar view

St. Vedast, Foster Lane.
An attractive small courtyard - access through church. Probably once extended much further.

St. Martin, Ludgate.   
The ground is now the private garden of Stationers' Hall.
This church is the legendary burial place of Cadwallader and King Lud. 
Churchyard more or less cleared 1894/5 and remains moved to Brookwood. 

Stationers' Hall Court. The vaults are under the ground. (Holmes)

Private garden of Stationer's Hall

'Graveyard garden' of spooky theme pub 'Bell Book and Candle' next door to St Martins. Don't be fooled - all is fake, and the gravestones imported!

Lost grounds

St. Matthew, Friday Street.
Church demolished 1885. Redeveloped post war - Bank of England offices


The Burial-ground of Christís Hospital
Under the Post  Office Building.
This is a courtyard surrounded by the cloisters, in Christ's Hospital, used as a play ground by the boys. (Holmes) 

The Burial-ground of the Greyfriars
Partly Post Office courtyard. 

 This has been almost covered with buildings, but a small piece remains as a yard near the great hall. (Holmes)

Rocque showing Christ Church, Greyfriars. The 'burying ground' is that of St. Batholemew's hospital. 

Newgate Burial-ground
Bodies moved to the City of London Cemetery on the closure of Newgate c. 1906. 
 A passage in the prison, used for the interment of those who are executed; 10 feet wide and 85 feet long. (Holmes) 
The "graveyard" at Newgate Prison is, as our picture shows, a very grim-looking burial place, which primarily serves the purpose of a passage from the gaol to the Old Bailey. Those who within the precincts of the prison have paid the extreme penalty of the law are buried under the flagstones, lime being enclosed in the coffins. On the walls on either side are the initial letters of the murderers' surnames, and by this means the places of burial are recorded, though neither dates nor names are now added.
Victorian Encyclopedia

Looking south.

Sketch map showing site of
burial passage

St Augustine
Bombed during the war - the tower only remains, the place of the church being taken by the choir school. Maps suggest the present day kitchen is roughly on the site of the burial ground. 

St Nicholas Shambles  
Located and excavated 1975-79. 
Church closed on dissolution of the monasteries in 1547. Houses built on the site - Bull Head Court, now underneath British Telecom Centre, North side of Newgate St. 

St. Michael le Querne 
Church destroyed in the great fire.  Main part covered by Cheapside.

St Ewan (Audoen)
In Newgate street. The parish disappeared with the monastries. No indication of a burial ground on reconstructed maps of the Tudor period.

Burial ground of the Black Friars
The Black Friars had a fairly extensive ground to the south of the Ludgate, in the area between P
ilgrim street and Carter Lane. This was a popular place of burial for all classes (British History on line.) The church itself (sited just to the south of Carter Lane) was the burial place of many distinguished families.  The ground and church disappeared after the Reformation.