Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Key:  Current observations and notes    Holmes (1897)     Other sources         Maps


Notes on Burial grounds by Brian Fisk.

All Saints Churchyard.
In Fulham High Street. This has now been turned into a model garden graveyard  with trees, shrubs, the adjacent river and Bishops Park. A number of 18th and 19thc tombs and a good set of Bishops of London.
Two acres or more. This is kept open during the summer months, and has seats in it, but the gravestones have not been moved, nor has the ground been handed over to any public authority for maintenance. It is neatly kept. No new graves are dug in it, but where the rights can be proved certain old vaults are still occasionally used.



Thanks to Sophie Marton for the three pictures immediately above.

St. Mary’s Churchyard, Hammersmith Road.
Built as a chapel of ease, 1813; parish, 1835. Bombed and restored. 
Now reduced to a dull space in front of a dull church.

Size ½ acre. This ground is closed, but fairly tidy. Several of the tombstones have been moved.

St. John's Churchyard, Walham Green.
Opened 1828.
A melancholy grassed area with a few marginal stones on the edge of the main road. Too small to escape its surroundings .

½ acre. There arc only a few tombstones on the north side of the church and none on the south side, and the ground is closed and appears neglected.

St Thomas’s Roman Catholic Churchyard, Fulham.
Church dedication St Thomas of Canterbury. Opened 1842.
The gate is now usually shut. The ground was occasionally used  into the later 20thc. This is a crowded open rectangle with a few pollards and little atmosphere, but with a number of interesting tombs set round a fancy French centrepiece .

2.,600 square yards. This ground was closed by order in Council in 1857, but only partially, for new graves are still dug in it, in the midst of a densely populated district of new streets. The gate is usually open.

Lillie Road Pest Field 
Following bombing and clearance, Normand Park now covers much of the site and a swimming pool is  being built on it. Holmes’ corner is now occupied by Lillie Road Mansions.

The orchard of Normand House. The site of this orchard, then 4 acres in extent, was used extensively for burials at the time of the Great Plague. Lintaine Grove now occupies part of it, and a row of houses in Lillie Road. Only about ¾ acre is still unbuilt upon, at the corner of Tilton Street, and this is offered for sale.

Fulham Cemetery.
A flat fairly open ground with many stones removed to create open lawn.
12½ acres. First used in 1865. Open daily.

Hammersmith  Cemetery.
Enlarged since Holmes. Similar to Fulham. There is an octagonal brick corpsehouse .  
in Fulham Fields.-16½ acres. First used in 1869. Open daily.