Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Langbourn Ward
Key:  Current observations and notes    Holmes (1897)     Other sources    Maps


Existing grounds

St. Edmund King and Martyr, Lombard Street
Attractive garden N. of church. By 1841 it was 'seldom used.' 
The property of the Salters' Company. Laid out as a garden with seats.(Holmes) 

St. Gabriel, Fenchurch Street
Church was an island in the middle of Fenchurch Street. Lost in the Great Fire. Parish combined with St Margaret Pattens.  Churchyard is in Fen Court, a paved courtyard with table tombs. 
The gift of Helming Legget. (Holmes) 

Allhallows Staining, Mark Lane.
Survived the great fire, but partially collapsed in 1671, The foundations were apparently weakened by an excess of burials near the walls. Rebuilt 1674, demolished  1870  and parish combined with St Olave Hart Street. Paved, with plants in pots.
Church destroyed in 1879 except the tower. The property of the Clothworkers' Company. (Holmes)

View in 1838


Lost Grounds

St. Dionys Backchurch, Lime Street.
Church demolished 1878. Area under excavation 2003. Ground in existence in the early 20th century. It is shown to the north of the church, though reconstructed Tudor maps show it to the south. 

Rocque. Churchyard to the north of church.

St. Mary Woolnoth, Lombard Street.  
Churchyard small triangular area on west side. Built over late 19th century - now a branch of Starbucks. Ironically, the church was  was the burial place of Edward Lloyd (Of Lloyd's coffee house and Lloyd's of London fame). Died 1713.
In danger at the present time.(Holmes)
This refers to the proposed destruction of the church at the end of the 19th c. in connection with underground railway works. In the end it was saved; The crypt was cleared to make way for the lift shafts and escalators of Bank Station, and human remains moved to the City of London Cemetery. 

St Nicholas Acons, Lombard Street.
Site of burned church. Parish united with St Edmund King and Martyr and burial ground used by that parish. Remained until 20th century but built on post-war - another mega-office block - 21 Lombard St.  Excavated 1964. 

All Hallows,  Lombard Street.  
Church demolished and ground built over in 1937 - bank offices. (No. 50 Lombard St.) 
Closed in the cholera year 1849. (Holmes)

Old print