Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Queenhithe Ward
Key:   Current observations and notes   Holmes (1897)     Other sources       Maps


Existing grounds

St. Mary Somerset, 
The church was demolished in 1867, but the tower was left. What is left of the burial ground is a small grassy area by the tower in Thames Street. By 1841 it was 'seldom used'. 
Store-yard for old iron, behind the tower. Most of this ground has gone. (Holmes)

Lost grounds

St. Peter, Paul's Wharf.  
Site of burned church. Parish united with St Benet after the fire. Ground removed post war -
now completely lost. Thames Street goes semi-underground at this point and new building has completely obliterated the site. 

St. Michael, Queenhithe. 

 Church demolished 1873.  It has been suggested that Cleary Gardens may cover part of the burial ground, but these gardens are on the west side of  Huggin Hill, and there is no map evidence for a ground here - this area was not open ground until post-war clearance of the bomb-site. However, Chadwick (1841) describes a second ground of 158 square yards in 'Trinity Lane' - almost certainly this was the ground of Holy Trinity the Less described below. 
Private garden for St. James's Rectory. (Holmes)


Prewar photograph shows ground on the west of Huggin Hill.

St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, 
Lost when Queen Victoria Street was built. Very little is left.


St. Mary Mounthaw  
Church destroyed in the great fire. Site used as an additional ground for St Mary Somerset. Lost when Queen Victoria St was constructed. 


St. Nicholas Olave  
Church destroyed in the great fire. Site became an additional ground for St Nicholas Cole Abbey. Lost when Queen Victoria St. was constructed.  Still in use in 1841. 


Holy Trinity the Less, Trinity Lane 

Church destroyed in the Great Fire and parish united with St. Michael Queenhithe. A
Swedish Lutheran church was built on church site - this was demolished when Mansion house station was built . If this is the ground mentioned by Chadwick (see St Michael above) it was still in use by 1841.