Home page
    Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Key:     Holmes notes of 1897    Other sources     Current observations and notes     Maps

Additional information taken from Southwark's Burial Places by kind permission of author Mr Ron Woollacott.

St Mary’s Churchyard. 
Church built 1714-15, replacing an earlier one.  The ground is partly cleared to include a children's play area but a number of monuments remain, and the crypt is, apparently, still uncleared. Burial place of Christopher Jones, captain of the Mayflower (d 1622) and of Prince Lee Boo of the Pelew Islands in the Pacific (d 1784).

 ¾ acre. This is closed, except on Sundays. It is full of tombstones and kept in good order. (Holmes)

Lee Boo's tomb

Additional ground in Church Street 
On the opposite side of the road. Opened in 1821. Closed 1852. Later opened as a public garden, which it remains, but open every day. 
The old watch house still remains next to the ground - it is now a delicatessen!

 1¾ acres. This is also only open on Sundays, and is fairly tidy. (Holmes)

The watch house - a nice line in pastrami

Christ Church Churchyard, Union Road. 
Ground opened in 1840, closed 1856 apart from the General Gomm in 1875 and Lady Gomm in 1877 mentioned below.
Church became redundant in 1950. In 1979 is was demolished and the ground cleared to make way for the widening of Jamaica Rd. Sir William and wife were rehoused at Nunhead Cemetery, along with various lesser mortals. 
Ground now under the eastbound carriageway of Jamaica Rd, opposite Southwark Park. 

700 square yards. This is closed, and there are no tombstones on the north side of the church. The south side is rather untidy, except round the of General Sir William Gomm, who gave the ground for the church (being Lord of the Manor), where there is a patch of good grass and flowers.

All Saint’s Churchyard, Deptford Lower Road.
The church was destroyed during the war.  The area is a pleasant enough open space called, for some reason, King George's Fields,  but there is no indication at all of its previous use. 

Nearly 1 acre. This land was given by Sir William Gomm in 1840, and was used for 17 years. It is closed, and wooden palings separate it from the ground in front of the church. It is not well kept. (Holmes)

Holy Trinity Churchyard, near Commercial Docks Pier. 

 The church was bombed and rebuilt. The graveyard is lawned, with stones at the wall. Part behind the vicarage has gone to woodland.

About 1 acre. Consecrated in 1838 This ground was also only used for 20 years; a part of it is railed off for the vicarage garden, where probably no interments took place. It was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1885, and taken over by the London County Council in 1896. It is a very attractive, shady garden. (Holmes)