Home page
     Introduction      Books     Links    City    North London     South London

St George the Martyr
Key:   Current observations and notes     Holmes (1897)     Other sources     Maps


Additional information taken from Southwark's Burial Places by kind permission of author Mr Ron Woollacott.

St. George's Churchyard, Borough.  
Crypt cleared 1899 and 1500 coffins moved to Brookwood.
Ground extended in 1816.  Closed 1853. 1903 large area lost to Tabard Street.  All that is left is the area immediately adjacent to the church, plus the extension of 1816 as shown on the map below. This is now a rather down-at-heel park, containing the old wall of the Marshalsea prison. 
      On my visit I was welcomed to the original ground around the church by two cheerful lager drinkers and their overfriendly dogs. Burial place of Bishop Bonner, and Nahum Tate, Poet Laureate.
Features in Little Dorrit.

This is about an acre in size, and is maintained as a public garden by the rector and churchwardens, having been laid out in 1882. It is much used. (Holmes)

Pre-extension map (Horwood) with extended area shown in Red on site of distillery.  (Approx).Prison to the North became the Marshalsea  Prison around this time. Map also shows the site of Wilmot's Buildings, shown in blue. 

Additional ground

Additional ground showing the wall of the Marshalsea Prison

The original ground, much curtailed by Tabard Street in the foreground.

St. George's Recreation-ground, Tabard Street  Mayflower Gardens)
Most of the ground disappeared when the Bricklayer's Arms flyover and roundabout were built. (1968). Remains removed to Camberwell Old Cemetery. 
The remaining part of the ground is named Mayflower Gardens. There is very little left, and what remains is locked - though it is well furnished with litter bins. 

Also known as the Lock burial-ground. -Rather over acre. This was originally the burial-ground of the Lock Hospital, which was pulled down in 1809, a portion of the site of the hospital and ground having been before then. Consecrated as a parish burial-ground. It was chiefly used for pauper burials, and was crowded with bodies. It is now a neat public garden, laid out by the vestry in 1887, and in the possession of the rector and churchwardens of St. George's.


Lost grounds
Chapel Graveyard, Collier's Rents, Long Lane. 
Incorporated into the grounds of a brewery. One source claims the ground disappeared by 1870, but this is not supported by Holmes. Marked on O.S. of 1872. Chapel appears on Rocque but ground shown as gardens. 
Site roughly where Tennis St. is now. D
estroyed in WW2. 
This is about 620 square yards in extent, and is on the north side of an old Baptist chapel, which now belongs to the Congregational Union. The ground dates from before 1729, and is closed. There are a few tombstones and grass, but it is not very well kept.

O.S. 1872

London Road Chapel Ground  
Chapel demolished early 19th. cent. and shops built on burial ground. Now swallowed up by the campus of the London South Bank University. 

Tailor's Shop in London Road, east side.


Baptist Chapel Ground Sheer's Alley.
Closed in the 1850s. Built over then (Wilmott's buildings) which were replaced by Southwark mortuary and coroner's court. This area is immediately to the south of the park, as shown on the map of St George's churchyard above and Rocque below.  

Rocque, showing Shears Alley and the Baptist Chapel marked  AM. St George the Martyr ground to the left. See also map of St George's above. 

Zion Chapel, Borough  
Behind the Zion Chapel in half-Moon Yard and Mermaid Court.
Not shown on maps, but the chapel appears on O.S. of 1872 at the eastern end of chapel Court.

Replaced by artisans' dwellings, Chapel Court. (Holmes)
Lost vault/church burial
St George's Catholic Chapel, London Rd.
Shown on Horwood - see map for London Rd Chapel Ground above.
Opened in 1793. Closed in 1848 when St George's Cathedral was opened. The South London Music Hall was built on the site: according to Michael Collins in The Likes of Us, it was haunted by nuns. When the music hall was demolished in the 1950s, human remains were found on the site.