Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

St Marylebone
Key:   Current observations and notes  Holmes (1897)     Other sources       Maps

St. Marylebone Episcopal Chapel-ground, High Street.
This was the parish church until 1816, when the new church opened. The Chapel was demolished post war due to war damage. A 'Garden of Rest' remains. Part of the burial ground is under Marylebone School netball court. 
In 2004 a substantial exhumation took place to make room for an 'underground gymnasium'. Burial place of Charles Wesley, artists George Stubbs and Allan Ramsay,  and architect James Gibbs, who will all no doubt appreciate the new facilities.

Parish church 16th century

Parish church 1750

St. Marylebone Burial-ground, Paddington Street,  (South ground)
St Marylebone (also called St. George’s) Burial-ground, Paddington Street. (North Ground)
Both North and South side are attractive parks, with typically informative Westminster information boards.  Around 80,000 people are buried in these two grounds. Few tombs survive, though many gravestones are dumped behind the gents toilet in the south ground. The south ground was for the well-to-do, the north ground for the poor. Complaints were made of overcrowding in 1802, but the vestry said there was 'still room for the higher degree of the inhabitants', and still room for mass burial of paupers on the site of the old workhouse in the north ground, opened 1751 demolished 1792. This workhouse was infested with rats, and suffered from the 'effluvia proceeding from putrid bodies'.
Both grounds were closed in 1814.  
   In one of the grounds (probably the south) a much loved cat called Ralph was buried with extensive ceremonial in March of 1794: a small coffin and plot of ground were supplied for the very reasonable cost of two guineas. Unfortunately, the proceeding outraged some of the onlookers, who dug up Ralph and, along with some stones, threw him through the window of the owner's house. (The Times March 21st 1794)

North side.- ¾ acre. A mortuary was built in it a few years ago. The ground was consecrated in 1772. It is closed to the public, but neatly kept and used as a garden for the inmates of the adjoining work-house.
south side.- 2¼ acres. Consecrated in 1733, and very much used. Since 1886 it has been maintained as a public garden by the vestry, and is well kept.

Old gravestones, behind gent's toilet in South ground.

St. John’s Wood Chapel-ground.  
Consecrated 1814, closed 1855. At a vestry meeting in November 1852 it was revealed that in 38 years there had been 67,178 burials here. (The Times, Nov 11th 1852)
Now a pleasant enough spot, with trees, and a scattering of tombs; some land taken for the church hall.
Burial place of potty prophet Joanna Southcott (d. 1814) and watercolourist John Sell Cotman (d. 1842.) Another informative Westminster City Council noticeboard - other London councils please note. 
Part of the ground is used as a children's playground, and part as a nature resource - local schoolchildren were making good use of it on my visit. To the south is an attractive area of flowerbeds. 

An additional burial-ground for the parish of Marylebone. 6 acres. The tombstones have not been moved, but the Marylebone Vestry maintains the ground as a Public garden. It has a few seats in it, and is neatly kept.

Greenwood's Map, 1827

Winter views by Sophie Marton

Vault: St Marylebone Parish Church (Opened 1817)
Vault closed 1853, Cleared 1980, 850 sets of remains removed to Brookwood.

Vault: Christ Church Marylebone
Stafford St., Now Cosway St. Opened 1825. Building still exists though no longer a church. Vault cleared post-war.

Vault: Holy Trinity Marylebone  
Marylebone Rd. Opened 1825, closed c 1942.  vault cleared post war. Building still exists. 

Lost grounds

Churchyard of Old Tyburn Church 
Now under Dolcis in Oxford Street.
Built on - Marylebone Court House, Stratford Place.

Burial place for those executed at Tyburn 
Various remains have been found over the years. 
At the corner of Upper Bryanston Street and Edgware Road.

Other possible vault or church burials

Brunswick Chapel, Upper Berkeley Street.  Opened 1826.

Emmanuel Church, Maida Hill 
Northwick Terrace. Opened 1834. demolished c1950

St.Andrew, Wells Street
Doubtful. Opened 1847, closed 1932, rebuilt elsewhere.

St.Mary, Bryanston Square  

St.Peter's Chapel, Vere Street 
Opened 1722. Formerly the Oxford Chapel. Still in use.

St Paul Portman Square. 
Opened 1772. (?)

All Saints Margaret St.
Built 1850-59 on the site of  Margaret Chapel, which dated from c. 1760 and had a chequered history.

The Annunciation, Bryanston St
Built 1912-14 on the site of the Quebec chapel built 1787.