Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Key:     Current observations and notes    Holmes (1897)     Other sources          Maps


St. Luke’s Churchyard, Embankment. (Chelsea Old Church)
Bombed during WW2. Rebuilt.
Extended to the south before river was embanked. Was ground also more extensive to the north at one time? Now buildings and gardens here. 

The old church on the Embankment. ¼ acre. This ground is closed and  neglected. (Holmes)

St Luke’s Churchyard, Sydney Street.  
Church opened 1824 in what had been an additional parish burial ground for the old church (above) opened in 1810. (1812 according to Holmes). In use for about forty years. 
An extensive area. The central part around the church is divided from the rest by a wall of gravestones. To the north, the ground is part children's playground, part a hard surface recreation area. South of the church the ground has been converted into an attractive park. (St Luke's Gardens.)
2¼ acres. This ground was consecrated in 1812, and contains vaults and catacombs. It was laid out as a public garden and is maintained by the Chelsea Vestry. (Holmes)

View from the North

Area around the church

Public park to the south

Old Burial-ground, King's Road.
Laid out as a not especially exciting  open space called Dovehouse Green. 
Burial place of Cipriani, The Italian painter and engraver,   and the botanist John Martyn, who introduced peppermint into pharmacy.

¾ acre. Given to the parish of Chelsea by Sir Hans Sloane, consecrated in 1736, and enlarged in 1790. A mortuary has been built in it. It is laid out as a garden for the use of the inmates of the adjoining workhouse. Fragments of an old chapel and graveyard have been found here. (Holmes)

Chelsea Hospital Graveyard, Royal Hospital Road.
2004 - Very much the same as it was 100 years ago. 

1⅓ acres. This ground was used for the interment of the pensioners. It is closed, but neatly kept. (Holmes)


All Souls Roman Catholic Burial-ground, Cadogan Terrace.
Now the playgrounds of St Joseph's RC Primary School and St Thomas More School cover part of the site, some of which has been built over with school buildings. An 18th century (pre consecration) coffin was discovered during deep 1990s building work; the presence of the burial ground had presumably been forgotten though the ground must  have been cleared of shallower graves. This coffin was presumably moved from elsewhere. 
Shown on O.S. of 1865

1½ acres. The adjoining chapel (St. Mary's) was consecrated in 1811. The ground is closed and full of tombstones. (Holmes)

Moravian Burial-ground, Moravian's Close, King's Rd
Opened in 1751. Purchased from the Sloane Estate  by Leader of Moravians Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzendorf (1700–1760),  The land was originally part of the site of Beaufort House, home of Sir Thomas More. 300 people have been buried here. According to the National History Museum website, the last burial was in 1972. Can this be true? Holmes says in was closed in the 1880s so 1872 is more likely.  Or, possible confusion with internment of ashes, which has apparently continued to the present day. 
Moravians were originally devout refugees from Bavaria. 

The part actually used for interments is fenced in and closed. It is neatly kept, the tombstones being very small flat ones. It belongs to the congregation of the Moravian Church in Fetter Lane, E.C., and was closed by order in Council about 8 years ago. (Holmes)

Jewish Burial-ground, Fulham Road.

 Shown on O.S, of 1865.  This was once a mulberry orchard. It is now locked and disused.

½ acre. It belongs to the Western Synagogue, St. Alban's Place, S. W., and was first used in 1813. It is closed to the public except between 11 and 4 on Sundays.(Holmes)
Possible churches with church burials and/or vaults
Holy Trinity, Sloane Street
Original church was built in 1828 and may have had vaults, though doubtful. This church was demolished 1888 and replaced with a new building.

St Andrews, Park Walk. 
On the site of Park Chapel (dem. 1912) which dated back at least to 1714. 

Christchurch, Christchurch St.  (built 1838) Doubtful.

St Saviour's Walton St.  Built 1839-40) Doubtful.

There were probably two more proprietary chapels in Chelsea in the 18th century, including one in Cook's Ground (Now Glebe Place.)

Click here for a note on church and vault burials.