Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Key:     Holmes (1897)     Other sources     Current observations and notes   maps


Some grounds on this page awaiting visit/update.

St. Mary's Churchyard. 
An attractively laid out open space with flower beds and seating.
1⅓ acres. This ground was enlarged in 1793, and was laid out as a public garden in 1885. It is maintained by the vicar and churchwardens.

Somewhat exaggerated view from the 1840s              

The view today, from the South.

Additional ground round the Chapel of Ease in Holloway Road.  
Dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The chapel was built in 1812 on a pre-existing burial ground. Currently (2006) has its own webcam, ( but this does not show the attractive coffins. 
4 acres. This is also laid out as a public garden, and is beautifully kept by the Islington Vestry.
Under the church are the vaults, in which some rather attractive coffins may still be seen. (Basil Clarke, Parish Churches of London, 1966).

Burial-ground of St. John's Roman Catholic Church, Duncan Row.
Church built 1841- The playground is still there, partly built on .
½ acre. A strip at the northern end of this ground is railed off with some tombstones in it, the remainder being tar-paved and used as a playground for the boys' Roman Catholic school.

Islington Chapel-ground, Church Street 
Advertised  for sale in  May 1800 in The Times as a going concern. Shown on O.S. of 1873. Originally known as Jones's Burial Ground. Cleared 1996 (see below). East side of the ground now built on, west side a pleasant garden. Area now called Anderson's  Square after the timber yard. 

Also called Little Bunhill Fields. The original chapel was built in 1788, and had a small graveyard. In 1817 the Rev. Evan Jones bought the garden of 5, Church Row, and added it to this graveyard, the whole ground being nearly 1 acre in extent. It is now in several divisions, part is a yard belonging to the General Post Office, and the other parts are let and sold as builders' yards, or are vacant.

Another eighteenth and nineteenth-century burial ground was investigated on the site of Anderson's Timber Yard, Islington, where a watching brief oversaw the complete clearance of a substantial cemetery by commercial contractors and led to the recovery of 1,493 coffin plates, which are being analysed in the context of the extensive historical records for the site. (English Heritage - Archaeology Review 1996)

New Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, Church Steet, Islington – This extensive GROUND has been prepared with a view to prevent those shocking depredations which now afflict the public mind: it is securely enclosed, carefully guarded, and will always be well lighted during the winter months; it also offers the best security against profane intrusion, because dry graves may be sunk in it to a depth defying such attempts, viz. 10, 15, 20 feet, or as much further as may be desired: the public will easily perceive that a grave which demands the incessant labour of two men during two long days to sink, and requires many shoring planks, must be placed beyond the power of violation. Orders for funerals taken in by the sexton, on the premises, of whom cards of the dues and fees may be had. By the particular request of several of the principal undertakers, a large general vault has been constructed, in which all interments must be in lead or iron.
              Advertisement in The Times, December 15th 1818

View looking North. Building to the right covers part of the ground.

Wesleyan Chapel-ground, Liverpool Street. 
A dismal brick garage-like building stands on the site of the chapel - could this be the chapel itself? it is now part of the Design Centre next door. The burial ground has probably been lost to road widening, and may have been where the black dustbins are now.

An untidy little closed yard at the west end of the chapel containing two tombstones and much rubbish, and measuring about 225 square yards. (Holmes)

Maberley Chapel-ground, Ball's Pond Road.
The Hall , a late Georgian pedimented box,built 1825-6,  is now (2002) being restored.  It was previously restored in 1993, when the brick was revealed. The bare space in front of it remains. It is at no.47a
. (B.F.) 
w called Earlham Hall. The ground is about 270 square yards, between the chapel and the road. It is closed and bare.

Jewish Burial-ground, Ball's Pond.
The original wall remains round most of the ground, except for the north east section on which flats and a caretaker’s lobby have been built. It is like an overgrown meadow, full of memorials, with planes around the edge. The paths are mowed from time to time. The stones are at first glance English, slabs, table tombs and a few obelisks.. The phrasing of memorials and the verses inscribed could be found in any contemporary ground, though there is a certain amount of Hebrew. It is an unusual Jewish cemetery, in its semi-rural Englishness.
1¼ acres. This belongs to the West London Synagogue, is very neatly kept, and is still in use. It is full of very large tombstones.

 Holy Trinty Islington.
Cloudsley Square. Built 1826-29.  Redundant 1978; building still exists. 

St John's the Evangelist Upper Holloway.
Built 1826-28. St John's Grove, Upper Holloway Rd.  Still open.

All Saints Islington
(Aka All Saints Battle Bridge or All Saints Kings Cross.) In the Caledonian Rd. Built 1837-8. Demolished c. 1975

Possible vaults:
St Paul's, Balls Pond Rd
Built 1826/8 Closed 1981, now a school.

St Peter's, St Peter St. 
Built 1834/5. Closed 1982. Converted to flats.

St Stephen, Canonbury Rd 
Built 1837-39 Still open

St James Chillingworth Rd 
Built 1837-8. Bombed and restored. Present condition unknown.

Click here for a note on church and vault burials.