Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Key:   Current observations and notes    Holmes (1897)     Other sources      maps


Additional notes by Brian Firth

St. Mary Abbots Churchyard
Now called St.Mary Abbotts and Alec Clifton Taylor Memorial Gardens.
The garden is partly protected from road by church. Area at west of church still has gravestones. Western yard across footpath is now playground and garden.

About I¼ acres. The grave-yard is smaller than it was 20 years ago because the present church is far larger than the original one, and recently a long porch or cloister has been added. It is neatly laid out but closed to the public. (Holmes)

Holy Trinity Churchyard, Brompton.
Neglected no longer.
Church built 1826-29. Last burial ground to be opened in London, though in fact the site was already a burial ground - that of St George's hospital. 
Remains were taken to Brookwood in the 1950s, though it is not known whether they were from the crypt or burial ground.
The statue of St Francis of Assisi in this churchyard was used as a dead letter box by Russian spies during the Cold War. 

3½ acres. There are public thoroughfares through this ground, but they are railed off, and the churchyard is closed and has a neglected appearance. (Holmes)

Brompton Cemetery,  
Opened in 1840, and extended southwards in 1844. Burial place of Emmeline Pankhurst (d.1928), distinguished Victorian Doctor John Snow (d. 1858) who discovered that cholera  was spread by contaminated water, and operetta star Richard Tauber (d. 1948). Also of the American Sioux Indian Chief, Long Wolf, who died On 13 June 1892 whilst touring Europe with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, aged 59. His body was returned to South Dakota in 1997. 

Also called West London Cemetery and London and Westminster Cemetery .- 38 acres. First. used in 1840. By 1889 upwards of 155,000 bodies had been interred there. It is crowded with tombstones, and is in the midst of a thickly populated district. (Holmes)

Thanks to Sophie Marton for these photographs

All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green
This famous old cemetery contains a superb collection of monuments.
Partly in Hammersmith.- 69 acres. Open daily and neatly kept. This cemetery has been in use since 1833, and it is crowded with tombstones and contains catacombs and numerous vaults and mausoleums. (Holmes)

Burial-ground of the Franciscan Convent of St. Elizabeth, Portobello Road 
The nuns were reinterred in St Mary’s Catholic Cemetery, Kensal Green. The site (between Chesterton Rd and Oxford  Gardens, now a Spanish school) has no burial ground recorded on OS map, but the convent in St Charles' Square does (OS 1893) and burials there are still commemorated by tablets on the convent building
This is a triangular grass plot, not above ¼ acre in size, in the garden behind the convent. It is surrounded by trees and neatly kept. It was sanctioned by the Home Secretary in 1862, and is only used for the interment of nuns, of whom five have been buried here, the first in 1870 and the last in 1893. (Holmes)

Vault. St Barnabas.

Church built 1827. Still exists. Vaults cleared?

Possible vaults or church burials

St John's Ladbroke Grove (Built 1844-5)

St James Nordland Square (Built 1844-5)

Click here for a note on church and vault burials.