on grounds from notes by Brian Firth.
St. Mary’s Churchyard
newer of the two grounds here, opened after building of the new church,
1784. It adjoins Paddington Green and the noisy flyover to the south.
Its rural spaciousness is long gone. There are a number of handsome
tombs of the early 19th century but many must now have been moved.. This
and the ground below,
from which it is separated by a footpath, have the usual good
Church vaults are still occupied, though bodies were 'buried more
compactly' in 1972.
1 acre. The tombstones have not
been moved, but the ground has been neatly laid out, and is kept open by
the vestry. (Holmes)
The Old Burial-ground,
large in comparison with other churchyards. Enlarged six times between
1731/2 and 1824, in a rapidly expanding part of
London. The fairly featureless
park includes the sites of the original parish church and the manor
house .An iron church stood at the north 1861-93. It relies on mature
planes to give it some form and enclosure. A handful of graves include
Sarah Siddons ( protected by a canopy of 1908) painters William Colljns
and Robert Haydon, and sculpters Nollekens,
Bushnell and Banks. A number
of tombstones are lined up
in standard fashion along the west wall.
Closed in 1857.
3 acres. This adjoins St.
Mary's Churchyard, and was laid out and opened as a public garden by the
vestry in 1885. It contains the site of an older church, dedicated to
church, originally St James, Later St Mary's.
Vault: St John the Evangelist
Crescent. Built 1829-32. Still open.
Possible vaults or church burials
St John the Evangelist, Harrow Rd Kensal Green.
Built 1843-4, still
Holy Trinity Bishop's Bridge Rd
Built 1844-6. Demolished c
St.Matthew, Moscow Rd, Bayswater
Petersburg Place. Built 1858 so too late for vaults, but built on
the site of Bayswater Chapel built 1818.
here for a note on church and vault burials.
Pest Field, Craven Hill. Probably never used
Not yet identified
Built over, Craven Hill Gardens. (Holmes)