Home page 
  Introduction    Books     Links 
  City     North London   South London

Including Putney, Clapham, Tooting and Streatham
Key:   Current observations and notes   Holmes notes of 1897      Other sources    

Notes by Brian Firth. Awaiting a photographic visit.

All Saints' Churchyard, High Street.
n the 1890’s there was still a forest of stones at  the E end. Remains were found where the N extension of the church stands, so the ground must have lain also to the N. Now, after extension of the chancel, and road widening, the ground is reduced to a grass strip – one of the most restricted London grounds amid its most unwelcoming traffic system.
¼ acre. This is closed, and is much more tidy at the eastern end than the western end. (Holmes)

Early 20th Century view

The view today

East Hill Burial-ground, Wandsworth Road.
Also known as Mount Nod. Lots of slabs and plain tombs crowded together. Railed in.
½ acre. This was consecrated in 1680, and many French Huguenots were buried in it. It is closed and fairly tidy. (Holmes)

Photographs courtesy of Kelvin Adams 

Garratt Lane Cemetery, South Street, Wandsworth.

“Wandsworth Old Burial Ground”. Now largely greensward with a central footpath and an ornamental entrance from Garratt Lane. Few stones are left, but it forms an attractive alternative to the one-way system for pedestrians.
Last burial in the 1930s.
1¾ acres. This was consecrated in 1808. It is closed to the public and closed for interments with the exception of widows, widowers and parents of deceased persons already interred there. It is maintained by the Wandsworth Burial Board.

Friends Burial-ground, High Street, Wandsworth. 
The ground remains behind the meeting-house, with greenery.
400 square yards. This is attached to the meeting-house, is closed and very neatly kept. There are a few upright tombstones.
Baptist Burial-ground, North Street, Wandsworth. 
Lost. North St is now Fairfield St .  The S
alvation Army moved away in 1907. The site is under the Town Hall buildings.
An untidy little closed yard with no tombstones in it and neglected grass. The chapel now belongs to the Salvation Army. I doubt if it was much used for burials, but, at any rate, there was one interment in 1854. It is about the same size as the Friends' ground.

Independent Burial-ground, Wandsworth.

In Chapel Court off High St. Memorial Hall
is in a decayed state.
This is now a small tar-paved yard adjoining Memorial Hall, which was built on the site of an old chapel or schoolhouse. There are a few trees.

St. Mary's Churchyard, Putney.
A patch of land between church and river. Otherwise the land was encroached upon for the bridge approach in 1931-2. John Toland buried here.
½ acre. Closed and neatly kept.

Putney Burial-ground, Upper Richmond Road.

Recently (2005) renovated, and is now a well presented open space, with a few headstones and two monuments remaining (one with particularly wonderful skulls carved upon it). The ground is secured behind new iron gates, with a large carved granite sign outside, identifying it as "Putney Burial Ground". It is now sandwiched between two large commercial buildings. 
(Thanks to Tom Weller for this report.)

l acre. This was a gift to the parish from the Rev. R. Pettiwand, and consecrated in 1763. It was laid out in 1886, but the tombstones were not moved, and many of them are dilapidated brick altar tombs. It is maintained for the public by the Putney Burial Board.

Thanks to Sophie Marton for these photographs

St. Nicholas Churchyard, Lower Tooting.
A plaque commemorates 118 paupers buried here after  a scandalous mass death (Dickens wrote about it). Largely 19thc graves. One or two more striking but generally  reflecting an unglamorous neighbourhood. Scattered yews and some overgrown tombs. It has had some recent use.
A wedge shaped site.

 2 acres. This is still in use. It is open daily and kept in good order.

Lower Tooting Chapel-ground.
Site is now a shop, No 19
. Some unbuilt-on space survives, but no sign of burials.
 231 square yards behind the chapel (Congregational in High Street) and about 30 square yards in front. Some tombstones. Chapel dates from 1688, and was founded by Daniel Defoe.

St. Leonard's Churchyard, Streatham.
The original parish church. An unloved churchyard surrounding a drabbish church. There is a variety of tombs and some worn older slabs. The tombs crowd together in some parts giving some variation to the space.
1¼ acres. The present church dates from 1831, but the churchyard is at least 100 years older. It is closed for burials and well planted with flowers, grass, and trees. The gates are sometimes open.

St. Paul's Churchyard, Clapham.

St Paul's  chapel (consecrated in 1815) was built on the site of the original Clapham parish church of St Mary's. Thus the churchyard is far older than the church. 
No longer jungly. It has several large tombs  and stands above a slope which gives a melancholy  emphasis to the site.
In the Wandsworth Road. - 1½ acres. This is closed, and very full of tombstones. It is maintained by the Clapham Burial Board, but it is in a rather jungly condition.

1966 view showing the additional ground.

Union Chapel-ground, Streatham Hill. 
The site of the chapel is now the United Reform Church on Brixton Hill. The space between the church and the Victorian buildings behind is now empty of tombstones.
About 500 square yards. This is a neat little garden batch the chapel and the
schools, both of which have been rebuilt, the schools in 1878. There is a row of tombstones against the walls. It is generally closed.
Wandsworth Cemetery, Magdalen Rd
Almost tripled in size since Holmes.

12 acres. First used in 1878.Open daily.
Lambeth Cemetery, Tooting Graveney. 
In Blackshaw Rd.
41 acres. First used in 1854. Open daily.
Streatham Cemetery,  Garratt Lane.
Opened 1892.

Putney Cemetery.
A small cemetery on the common, more like a cosy churchyard than a municipal ground.  A little to the W, outside the LCC boundary, is a remarkable cemetery buried in a wood.
 3 acres. First used in 1855. This is an encroachment on a common.

Possible vault or church burial:

Holy Trinity North Side Clapham Common
Built 1774-76

St John's Clapham Rd
Built 1840-42

St James's Park Hill
Opened 1829. Destroyed 1940, and a new church was built on the site.

Holy Trinity Roehampton.
An original chapel was built in 1777, replaced by a new church in 1842, pulled down 1928. The present church (1896) is on a new site.

St Mary's Balham High Rd
Proprietary chapel consecrated 1806, much changed since then. 

St Anne's, St Anne's Hill, Wandsworth
Built 1820-24. The church has grounds, but apparently not a churchyard.
Click here for a note on church and vault burials.